Thursday, February 7, 2008

Kenyan photographer

How are things here? There is violence still in Rift Valley and
Kisumu. Mombasa is much better now. The problem as been tribalism
has sipped in to Nairobi . Last week there was tension near Ngong
hills as communities armed themselves in fear that they would be
attacked. My parents live in Ngong. Most Kenyans are just tired of
all thats going on. Personally I have decided to pray more and to
trust in God. The situation seems so hopeless without God in the
picture. I have stopped being so angry at our leaders and decided to
be the change I want. To be more tolerant of other people and to pray
and trust God.

Our church leaders seem to have stepped up. They have been vocal
about issues of peace and justice. They have even called for people
who were involved in acts of violence to repent. I think most people
are beginning to listen to the church. I believe it the Christians
who will eventually make the biggest difference.

In my work in Kibera I have seen so much suffering. Whether it's the
Kikuyus or Luos. I have seen a 13 year old girl shot dead by the
police. I have taken pictures that have remained etched in my mind.
I have also gotten to understand a little about the complexity of the
situation. There is so much injustice and poverty in Kenya that the
poor feel very hopeless. They don't have any hope in the leaders who
rule us. They have no hope for tomorrow. When someone doesn't have
hope then they have nothing to lose. When you are extremely poor then
you have nothing to lose and fear nothing. That is one of the
problems with Kenya.

At times I guess things get so dark before the light shines through. I
believe that our friends in Chapel Hill are praying with us. I know
that God hasn't forgotten us and he will come through for Kenya.

No comments: